Global Risks and Competitive Sustainability in the Romanian Economy Workshop
On May 5th, 2022, Aspen Institute Romania organized the workshop on Global Risks and Competitive Sustainability in the Romanian Economy, under the aegis of the Aspen New Economy & Society and Aspen Energy & Sustainability Programs, in partnership with the Ministry of Economy, at the Ministry’s headquarters. The workshop format was a roundtable discussion with leading public and private sector representatives and members of academia, moderated by Dr. Clara Volintiru, Aspen New Economy & Society Program Director.
The workshop analyzed the way in which our strategic vision and national economy can achieve the dual objective of growth and inclusion set up by the EU, and what are the solutions the public and private sector offer in pursuit of this ambitious vision, under a context of growing risk and uncertainty in global markets. In particular, the workshop addressed the following key questions:
- To what extent is the new sustainability paradigm compatible with competitiveness?
- Is there a shared vision of a new economic model beyond Europe?
- How will the EU manage persistent developmental divides and the transition to a new economic model based on innovation and high value-added?
- What are the risks of this transition in the context of growing uncertainty in global markets and disruptions in supply chains?
- Is the EU Industrial Strategy fit for a dual goal of economic resilience and transformation?
- How should member states like Romania meet the opportunities and challenges presented by the new EC objectives in the field of sustainable development?
- What are the strategies, investments and reforms that Romania needs to implement in order to develop withing the framework of “competitive sustainability”?
13:30 – 14:00 Registration & Welcome Coffee
14:00 – 14:15 Opening Remarks
14:15 – 15:15 Public Sector Interventions
- Florin Spătaru – Minister of Economy, Romanian Government
- Constantin Ștefan – Secretary of State, Ministry of Energy, Romanian Government
- Mihai – Călin Precup – Secretary of State, Ministry of Public Finance, Romanian Government
- Alexandra-Maria Bocșe – State Adviser, Department of Climate and Sustainability, Presidential Administration
- László Borbély – State Adviser, Department for Sustainable Development, Government of Romania
- Ana Cătăuță – Member of the Chamber of Deputies, Romanian Parliament & Aspen Fellow
- Cătălin Păuna – Senior Economist, World Bank Romania
- Istvan Jakab – Economic Adviser, European Commission Representation in Romania
15:15 – 16:15 Private Sector Interventions & Roundtable Debate
- Ana Bobircă – Vice President, Asociația Oamenilor de Afaceri din România (AOAR)
- Federico Arcelli – Member of the Executive Committee, Aspen Institute Italia
- Cristian Sporiș – Vice President, Corporate Division, Raiffeisen Bank Romania
- Adrian Codîrlașu – Head of Transactional Risk Management, UniCredit Bank Romania
16:15 – 16:30 Conclusions
Moderator: Dr. Clara Volintiru – Program Director, Aspen New Economy and Society Program