Launch of the White Paper: “Romanian Priorities and the Presidency of the Council of the EU”
Aspen Institute Romania (AIR) launched the White Paper “Romanian Priorities and the Presidency of the Council of the EU”. The event was organized with support of the European Commission Representation in Romania and took place on Monday, 26 November, 2018, at the European Public Space in Bucharest. A networking lunch offered by the Representation concluded the debate.
The context for the paper is the upcoming Romanian Presidency of the Council of the European Union, which coincides with an intense period for Europe, as recent developments have opened debates on the future shape and direction of the European Union. A series of overarching themes emerge from the diagnostic of the current challenges of the EU, from the persistent lack of convergence between European regions to scenarios concerning a multi-speed Europe.
AIR’s White Paper was written by Clara Volintiru and Maria-Floriana Popescu from the Department of International Business and Economics (REI) of the Bucharest University of Economic Studies. The Paper seeks to provide a larger context and discussion base for the upcoming Romanian Presidency of the Council of the EU, including the challenges and opportunities that lie ahead. It is intended to be a useful companion to public officials, as well as the general public.
White Paper: “Romanian Priorities and the Presidency of the Council of the EU”
26 November 2018
11:00 – 11:30 Welcome Coffee & Registration of Participants
11:30 – 11:45 Opening Remarks
• Cristian Buchiu – Deputy Head of the European Commission Representation in Romania
• Mircea Geoană – President, Aspen Institute Romania
11:45 – 12:00 Presentation White Paper
• Clara Volintiru – Associate Professor, Department of International Business and Economics, The Bucharest University of Economic Studies (BUES) / Aspen Alumna
• Maria Popescu – Teaching Assistant, Department of International Business and Economics, The Bucharest University of Economic Studies (BUES)
12:00 – 12:45 Panel discussion
• Melania-Gabriela Ciot – Secretary of State for European Affairs, Ministry for Foreign Affairs
• Gabriela Drăgan – Director General, European Institute of Romania
• Dan Cărbunaru – Director, Calea Europeană
• Cristina Buzaşu – Principal Manager CSEU, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development
Moderator: Alexandra Toderiță – Romanian Center for European Policies
12:45 – 13:00 Q&A Session
13:00 – 14:00 Networking Lunch offered by the EC Representation