Aspen Public Service Leadership Program
The Aspen Public Service Leadership Program is a fellowship-based leadership program dedicated to the most promising leaders of the public sector in Romania.
The aim of the program is to motivate, educate, update and inspire promising representatives from various institutions in Romania, who can become promoters of change and improvement in the public sector.
PARTICIPANTS: 20-25 participants, aged between 25 and 45 years, with a high level of English fluency and a diverse background in terms of gender and political affiliation, selected through a complex selection process based on nominations.
The participants may be members of the legislative system, professionals from the local or central public administration (government, city halls and municipalities, local and county councils), universities or promising members of political parties. They must assume the role of decision-makers, whether they are already in office or are preparing for a public office, to be promoters of nonpartisan dialogue to the benefit of the citizen and of good governance and they must be able to engage in the reform of the areas that are essential for the development of Romania, disregarding their political and ideological affiliation.
STRUCTURE & CONTENT OF THE MODULES:
- 3 two to four-day long modules, organized entirely in English.
- The foundation of each edition of the program is the Aspen Seminar (Module 1), a Socratic debate based on a series of readings, from the greatest thinkers of past and present. Through debates guided by skilled moderators, on topics like liberty, equality, ethics and responsability, participants are offered a neutral space to test their beliefs, in a both personal and collective leadership journey and are challenged to reflect on how timeless values are shaping their decisions and our society at large.
- Modules 2 and 3 combine expert presentations, group work, experience-sharing sessions, case studies and workshops on various topics such as public and private partnerships and interactions, impact assessment and making an impact in public policy-making, communication, negociation and public speaking etc.
2 EDITIONS OF THE PROGRAM:
- 1st edition: November 2018 – June 2019
Partners: Aspen Institute USA, the consultancy firm FSG and École Nationale d’Administration (ENA)
- 2nd edition: November 2019 – November 2020
Partners: Aspen Institute USA and École Nationale d’Administration (ENA)
The PARTICIPANTS to the first 2 editions of the program were part of public institutions such as: the Parliament of Romania, ministries, authorities of local administration (county councils, city halls), regulatory authorities, supervisory and control authorities, political parties, universities from various regions of Romania.
PUBLIC SERVICE LEADERSHIP PROGRAM FELLOWS: 20 fellows of the first edition and 22 fellows of the second edition, continuously engaged with the Aspen community through various activities and events.
- IOANA CHIRIȚĂ, Judicial Counsellor, Romanian Energy Regulatory Authority, Aspen Public Service Leadership Program Fellow 2019:
The Program featured significant interactivity, allowing me to analyze myself and build on my strengths while minimizing my vulnerabilities. In my opinion, the common ground of this Program is to help each participant to not only improve their skills as a leader but to become a better person, professionally and personally. I strongly encourage everyone interested in this Program to embark on this journey and to enjoy this experience to the fullest, as this is a unique program for public sector employees.
- ANDREI POP, Member of Parliament, Chamber of Deputies (2016-2020), Aspen Public Service Leadership Program Fellow 2019:
I’ve been thrilled with the quality of speakers and experts that have spent time with us. An entirely new network of colleagues who share the same goals and values but with different views of implementation of the greater good. A journey of guidance to us as individuals has been invaluable on all sorts of levels and I had the reconfirmation that positive action, kindness, trustworthy, competence and hope are essential basics to build a better society. At some point in one seminar I had only one thought in my mind: Yes, WE CA N!
- PAVEL POPESCU, Member of Parliament, Chamber of Deputies, Aspen Public Service Leadership Program Fellow 2019:
The Aspen Public Service Leadership Program provided me a new set of skills that I was not able to discover alone. Aspen Institute Romania is the place where visionary people meet, discuss and find solutions for the real problems of the world. It`s the place where you can start to think big.
- ALEXANDRU ROJA, Lecturer, West University of Timișoara, Aspen Public Service Leadership Program Fellow 2019:
The Aspen Public Service Leadership Program experience was a return to my inner values, and then a journey with colleagues to discover authentic values that leaders should constantly learn and practice. Together with the trainers and organizing team, we learned the skills and competencies necessary to become authentic leaders in our organizations and communities.